Sunday, November 11, 2012

Privileged

Privilege means a lot of things to a lot of different people. Today I reminded what a privilege I have to be involved in people's lives at a time when they are changing.

Today I was covering the hematology/oncology inpatient team while the interns are on their retreat. One of our patients was diagnosed officially with leukemia today and I was privileged to be present at the family meeting where this was discussed with his parents. I cannot even imagine the mind numbing quality of this news - your perfect child has cancer and we are going to start chemotherapy tomorrow. This time last week he was at home playing and being a normal kid. He is, of course, still a normal kid for all intents and purposes, but his path and his story are now completely altered. And there I was. Just sitting there, watching, allowed to be present.

Being present at this kind of meeting is one of the "hallmarks" of being a doctor - the famous "how to give bad news" event. Remember to pause frequently. Follow the parents' lead. Don't give too much information. Don't shy away from the scary words but always leave hope.

Today's conversation went about as well as one could expect it too and I went home today wanting to call everyone I know to tell them how much I love them. Today is the first day in a new journey for this family and I wish them nothing but blessings from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment