Monday, August 27, 2012

Contact Precautions


I cannot believe that this is my last week in Leon. I spent the weekend relaxing at the beach and catching up on some reading and then it was back to work today.

Pictured above are two patients who have been on the Infectious Disease service for two weeks. They both have significant underlying diseases that leave them without good immune systems and are hospitalized for more acute issues.  Right next to each other. Yes. Because of a lack of space in the hospital all of the wards are open leaving airborne pathogens to fly freely around the room. Our kids with hepatitis are kept in another room together but there are no private rooms at all. While I dont think I will ever LIKE putting on yellow paper gowns before entering a patient's room, I am now truly humbled and grateful for their existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment